Tuesday, April 29, 2014

To the Supreme Court at my home : MOM


I remember wishing that I get to eat one plate full of Dahi for dessert. Not so unattainable. But I used to be the doctor's favorite, visiting him every two weeks for " throat congestion" and Mom had banned me from my favorite Dahi.

That was when I was 6 years old and nothing has changed since. My mom, constantly monitoring and guiding my dietary habits hasn't changed even when I have started working. Most people tell her to back down now, to let me have it my way, but she doesn't give in.Earlier it wasn't a happy picture for me, but today I know to listen to her when she has advice.

Now, that I feel a little grown up, I only wish that other people had someone like her in their life. A person who is constantly by your side, selflessly putting your needs above hers and sacrificing her luxuries so easily like she was giving away leftovers to beggars. You'd say many people have that. I disagree. Some of them aren't that fortunate enough. Taking time away to the movies, to short vacations or other comforts and leaving us behind,has never been my mom's style.

I don't know how much courage it requires to be there for your child, at the cost of personal relationships,social speculations and financial challenges..But however large the cost, my mom has stuck with me in all my sensible and whimsical decisions and made it seem like it was a cakewalk for her. Everything I am today, I owe it to her.

For all people who have taken moms as granted, like I have for a long time, maybe we all need to just stay alone for a while just to acknowledge what a gift we have. In my tradition, we give saguns and gifts to recognize the value of our moms on mothers day. I think loving them and letting them know that you re there for them too,everyday would be an even better gift.


2 comments: